Here is my repository of information on flying and testing experimental GA aircraft (plus some info on building and registering). There is much to learn if you wish to fly or teach in experimental airplanes and you take it seriously.
- Experimental Categories
- Experimental/Amateur-Built Flight Testing (FAA Safety Briefing)
- AC 90-109: Airmen Transition to Experimental or Unfamiliar Airplanes
- AC 90-89B: Amateur-Built Aircraft and Ultralight Flight Testing Handbook
- AC 90-116: Additional Pilot Program for Phase I Flight Test
- Special Airworthiness Certificates Regulations & Policies
- FAA Amateur-Built Aircraft website
- Experimental Aircraft Association Homebuilders Page
- Pilot Authorizations to Operate Experimental-Exhibition Aircraft Certificates: Guidance for Pilots
- Preparing for Your First Flight article in Kitplanes Magazine
- The Safety of Experimental Amateur-Built Aircraft NTSB report
NEW! As of 12 July, 2021, a Letter of Deviation (LODA) must be issued to conduct training in an experimental aircraft. The LODA may be held by the owner of the airplane, or the CFI (or both). Getting the LODA is a simple process. Either go to: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/vintage_experimental/ to download the LODA and fill out as instructed and send to the email listed.
Or download the form Here.